Literary Heroine Blog Party

Friday, February 21, 2014

http://kelliefalconer.blogspot.com/

I am very excited to be able to participate in The Literary Heroine Blog Party this year!!  Go check it out, it's not too late to join in the fun!

~ The Questions ~

1.Introduce yourself!  Divulge your life's vision, likes, dislikes, aspirations, or something completely random!

Hey, I'm Jana. I'm a 16 year old home-school girl who is always to be found reading a book or listening to music.  In a perfect world I would wear jeans & a sweatshirt every day and eat a diet of coffee and chocolate, dark chocolate.
 (I think that's probably as random as I can get) 

2.What, to you, forms the essence of a true heroine? 

A true heroine is someone who has a strong sense of conviction and acts on it.

3.Share (up to) four heroines of literature that you most admire and relate to.
Jo March (Little Women)
Elizabeth Bennet (Pride and Prejudice)
Polly Milton (An Old-fashioned Girl)
Margaret Hale (North and South)

4.Five of your favorite historical novels? 
A nearly impossible question!  But since I have to pick five...
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
An Old-fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
 North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
Rilla of Ingleside by Lucy Maud Montgomery

5.Out of those five books who is your favorite major character and why?
 It is definitely a tie between Elizabeth from P&P and Jo from Little Women.  I like both of them for the same reason, they are a lot like me or I'm a lot like them, I'm not really sure how that goes...  Anyway, I can relate to their triumphs and their shortcoming.  I think I like Lizzy more than Jo though, I think.

6.Out of those five books who is your favorite secondary character and why? 
I would have to say Laurie from Little Women.  I think this says it all:


7.If you were to plan out your dream vacation, where would you travel to - and what would you plan to do there? 
I would love to be able to travel around the world and see different places on each continent.  I've already lived on 3 continents but I would love to be able to go back and spend more time each place, and discover new ones.  So I guess more than a vacation it would be a time of suspended life while I was gallivanting around!  Sounds fun right?

8.What is your favorite time period and culture to read about?  

 England in the 1800's

9.You have been invited to perform at the local charity concert. Singing, comedy, recitation - what is your act comprised of? 
Well, I would avoid having to perform at all costs, performing in front of people is not my thing!  But if I had to I would probably recite something really short so I could get off the stage...  I would much rather just sit back and watch.

10.If you were to attend a party where each guest was to portray a heroine of literature, who would you select to represent? 
 Margret Hale from North and South


11.What are your sentiments on the subject of chocolate? 

Where do I even start?  Chocolate is amazingly wonderful and awesome.  There is no problem that good dark chocolate can't fix, but it has to be dark. :)

12.Favorite author(s)? 
 Jane Austen, Louisa May Alcott, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Lucy Maud Montgomery..... 
The list could go on and on and on!

13.Besides essentials, what would you take on a visiting voyage to a foreign land? 

My Ipod (gotta have my music), journal, camera and Bible.

14.In which century were most of the books you read written? 
The1800's till now

15.In your opinion, the ultimate hero in literature is… 
 Samwise Gamgee from Lord of the Rings (another one of my most favorite book series).  He is awesome all around.  In my opinion everyone needs their own Sam....


16.Describe your ideal dwelling place. 
Somewhere far away from people and with lots of space.  Preferably in Scotland or Ireland.
Or if I had to live in a city, it would be London, England.  It is by far one of of my favorite big cities.


17.Sum up your fashion style in a short sentence. 
Anything that is comfy, functional and cute. 

18.Have you ever wanted to change a character’s name? 

Not really, I think changing a characters name would be changing the character too much.  When a book is written the characters are named for specific reasons, to portray the nature of the character.

19.In your opinion, the most dastardly villain of all literature is... 

I really have no idea,there are some pretty dastardly villains out there....

20.Three favorite Non-fiction books? 
Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris
Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis
Before You Meet Prince Charming by Sarah Mally

21.Your duties met for the day, how would you choose to spend a carefree summer afternoon? 
If I feel productive I will get a snack and yummy drink and work on my blogs, or prepare to do so.  
And if I'm feeling entirely lazy, I'll find a cozy place to read or plug in my headphones and journal.

22.Create a verbal sketch of your dream hat - in such a way as will best portray your true character. 
A small bowler style hat with a bird-cage veil worn at an angle.  There would be a couple flowers for decoration.  And I can't decide if I would want it to be dark or light, probably one of each, one for spring and summer and the other for fall and winter. 

23.Share the most significant event(s) that have marked your life in the past year. 
Well, I have had a most eventful last year with moving to France and then Burkina.  Moving internationally is quite significant.  And leaving friends and family in the States.

24.Share the Bible passage(s) that have been most inspiring to you recently.
 Psalm 91

10 comments :

  1. I really liked reading your answers! I visited London last spring (a friend from high school lives there) but I couldn't imagine living overseas. It's definitely a dream to travel more but I don't know about leaving my little bungalow. :)

    Now, I've never seen Little Women -- read it a bunch of times -- but never seen the movie, so I have a question: IS THAT CHRISTIAN BALE WAVING THOUGH THE WINDOW?!?!???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I loved London, I didn't live there, only visited but I loved it! Yes, that is Christian Bale waving through the window, He really was the perfect Laurie, You MUST watch the movie!! It's so fun!!

      Delete
    2. I will!! I'm pretty sure one of my friends owns it; she's talked about watching it before anyways. I loved London too! It's a pricey town to live in but the history is priceless.

      Delete
    3. It is super expensive, it's a big downside...

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your answers! And I quite join you in your heroine selections... :-) Have you ever read Alcott's Rose in Bloom?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Laurie: giving us unrealistic expectations about neighbors." So, so true. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to find that on Pinterest because that's what I always say, but I couldn't... so sad

      Delete
  4. I almost chose Margaret Hale as the character I'd like to portray! She had beautiful costumes and hairstyles in that movie, didn't she?

    Thanks for commenting on my blog...following yours now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...you picked like 4 of the same favorite novels as I did! I do a little cheer every time I see another AOFG buff. I feel like Polly Milton Shaw doesn't get enough of the praise she deserves. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there, leave a comment and make my day!

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs