Ella Enchanted

Saturday, December 6, 2014


Ella Enchanted
 Gail Carson Levine
rating: 9

How can a fairy's blessing be such a curse?  At her birth, Ella of Frell was given a foolish fairy's gift - the "gift" of obedience.  Ella must obey any order given to her, wether it's hopping on one foot for a day or chopping off her own head!  
But strong-willed Ella does not tamely accept her fate.  She goes on a quest, encountering ogres, giant, wicked stepsister, fairy godmothers, and handsome princes, determined to break the curse - and live happily ever after. 

I remember feeling very brave when I plucked this book off of the library shelf.  I was about 12 and hadn't read many fiction/fairytale books, so this was a big step and I don't think that I could have chosen any better.  

Although written at a lower reading level, Ella Enchanted is one of my very favorite fantasy/fiction books, the story is just so good!  It's a perfect twist on a classic fairytale (Cinderella) that doesn't feel like it was being completely re-written.  Plus, there isn't much romance, which is always something that I worry will ruin a good book.  

I instantly fell in love with the characters and the world of Ella of Frell.  Ella is perfectly relatable and yeah, I just love her.  Charmont reminds me a lot of Laurie from Little Women, super sweet and fun to watch as he grows into accepting his role as the prince.  Mandy is hilarious and the stepsisters are absolutely horrid, but perfect for the story.  I've honestly lost track of how many times I have read it over the years…  

My only complaint about this book is that I wish it was longer, but only because I loved it so much.  So if you need a quick, easy, fun read: go pick up Ella Enchanted!


1 comment :

  1. I feel most ashamed. I didn't even know that you had a book review blog separate from your main one until just now. How did that happen? Oh well, I'm following now. :/
    When we talked about reviewing books the other day, I thought you were talking about reviewing them on your other blog. hahaha

    I've never read Ella Enchanted. I ought to though. I read another book by Gail Carson Levine years ago that I loved (The Fairy's Mistake). I didn't own it myself but only borrowed it from a neighbor. So when said neighbor moved away, I forgot the title and the author, and thus for years was never able to find the book I'd enjoyed so much. Then one time I told a friend about that story and how much I wanted to read it again, and it turned out that she had read it and knew exactly what I was talking about! It made me so happy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there, leave a comment and make my day!

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs